Wednesday 11 January 2012

The Teacher Who Inspired Me To Teach

Who was my favourite teacher? 
There is one person that definitely stands out in my mind and that was my grade six teacher. I did not like this teacher because she gave me the best grades or because she had the easiest class, but I liked this teacher because she was strict and always pushed me to do my best. She did not accept work that was not done to your full potential and she rewarded success in her class on a regular basis. In this class we had a "Waldo" program, which was a certificate if you truly succeeded on a test or assignment. We posted the Waldos up around the room and when they made it completely around the room we had a celebration. This was a great motivator for me and  it made me strive to succeed. This teacher set high, yet attainable expectations and by knowing this I think it made me feel better when I succeeded in her class.
Not only did this teacher help me succeed in the classroom, she also got me into volunteering and becoming a community member. Looking back, I feel that this was one of the most important things that she did for me. I feel that from volunteering in my community and getting involved I found a much greater appreciation for being a member of a small community.  In our community most major events do not run without the help of a committee. From volunteering with committees (ie: Triple H Rodeo Committee), I have learnt how to plan, organize, communicate, work collaboratively with people of all ages, and be a leader. These are all very valuable attributes that I will have for a lifetime.  Shortly after leaving this grade six class I got  involved with the Midwest Recreation Association in my hometown and volunteered for their events, many of which were with young children. I continued to volunteer and in grade 12 I received two monetary volunteer awards. Not only did these volunteer opportunities fill up a page on my resume, but they lead me to find my real passion - working with children. 
Therefore, this teacher was by far my favourite because she taught me what doing your best means and feels like. She also taught me that volunteering your time can shape you as a person and lead you to where you truly want to go in life. If I ever have the opportunity to teach higher grades I will for sure encourage my students to volunteer because I think that my volunteer experience has lead me to my career choice of being a teacher.

No comments:

Post a Comment